View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 10:15 AM

estrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Need help from Orvis rod users

The TLS series is a substantial upgrade from the Silver label line-up. Like you, I received a TLS replacement rod for a broken Silver label (it was 10 years old at the time of the accident). I have never owned a T3, which would be the next step up from the TLS. However, it is my understanding that the T3 would give you an improvement, but it might be only a small increment. When I upgraded from Rocky Mountain and Silver labels, I purchased Zero Gravity rods (9wt and 5wt) (the immediate forerunner to the Helios), and these rods give you a significant improvement when casting and fighting fish. Of course having said all of that, my last purchase was a 3 wt. Superfine rod.

I do not believe that Orvis will let you trade up to the T3, but I could be wrong. I think that letting people trade up would be too tempting for some.

I do not know if a T3 would give you any real advantage in 5wt; I think the improvement would be most evident in higher weight rods. My 5wt Zero Gravity is better than my 5wt TLS, but my 9wt Zero Gravity is head and shoulders above my 9wt HLS (of course the TLS should be better than the TLS).