View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 02:50 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Clearwater and Sage One 4wt

you have come down to 2 rods and your stuck on the fence. This is fantastic because the price difference between them is $500. It sort of makes the choice easy, I should tell you that the orvis clearwater graphite is top notch, this rod truely is amazing at $200, time and again people get confused by the low price. The clearwater is a true steel, there is almost zero vibration in the blank, it tracks line incredibly well, deadly accurate and light weight. It is a teer 1 rod disguised in an affordable rods body, you won't be dissapointed. However, like someone said earlier, the choice will come down to you and what feels best for your technique and uses. I have cast both rods extensively and I'm biased because I don't like the ONE at all. I love sage graphite such as z-axis, VXP and TXL-F rod series, but the ONE is so incredibly stiff. You will get far more line feel with the clearwater, and your range of casting technique will be increased with the clearwater because of its more flexible blank. I guess I just think starting out on a rod such as the sage ONE will cause you to only be accustomed to super fast rods, its good to learn on a slower action rod because it increases your knowlege and ability of how to cast different style rods, I believe it will make you a better fly caster and angler. My 2 cents love it or hate it.

P.S. I should also mention that wit the clearwater or any other orvis rod if you don't like any of the features on the rod you can send it into the rod shop via an orvis retail location and they will customize the rod to your specifications for a minimal fee. Thats insane customer service, I respect this organization immensly for this reason and their level of concern for thier anglers.

Last edited by thenewlushlife; 07-20-2013 at 07:21 PM.