View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 07:37 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Rod weight recommendation for michigan salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjack View Post
I can't speak to the rivers in Michigan, but I do fish the salmon runs in NE Wisconsin and I can't imagine the salmon are any bigger or tougher on the Michigan side. I've always done just fine on a 9 foot 8 weight for them.
I fish two 8 weights in Wisconsin and Michigan for salmon - a 890-4 Sage XP and an 8100-4 Loomis GLX Native Run paired with an Abel 3N. While both are effective for WI Kings, I felt under gunned in MI. In my opinion, the Kings are generally larger and stronger on the MI side of the lake. I bought a 990-4 Sage One for this year, paired with an Abel Super 9. Can I land fish in MI with the 8 wt? Yes, and I have. But why use an 8 weight when the 9 is - to me - the better tool for the job? Some of the guides use 10 weights in MI and I've used their rods. But I'm not blind casting a 10 all day.

If you plan of fishing the PM, get the 9 weight. You will not regret having the extra power and lifting power to pull those Salmon out of current.

Cheers,
Mike