View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Cheap backing or substitute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Just sayin'

I haven't done this on everyone of my saltwater reels but it's a good idea to include 25' of 25# mono between the 30# dacron backing and the line.
The point of this is to have some stretch behind the line to help keep the tippet from popping from fly line drag.

Once all of your line is out, there's a tremendous amount of pressure on the tippet from the mass of the fly line being dragged through the water. On top of that, many people naturally tighten on the reel's drag when backing is melting off their reel. Wrong !
Having a stretchy mono section behind the line helps to protect the tippet when there's a full fat fly line being pulled sideways through the water.
Now That Is Noteworthy!

You are the first person to mention this in any thing or place I have read about fishing Paul. Because I have had so many instances where either an entire 90' fly line or a 130' Spey line is being torn from the reel and pulled underwater, I've taken stock of this situation on many occasions.

When faced with this scenario I do whatever it takes to get that line up and to put as much back on the reel as quickly as possible.

Real good food for thought as are many of your posts here.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;