View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 12:02 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all
Default Re: Rapidan newbie Help Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi804 View Post
Man, I really wish I was on this forum before I went up to the SNP this past weekend. I fished the rapidan from the top down and saw nothing. I was careful to stay as stealthy as possible but really couldn't find a pool that was holding anything. I fished half a mile up from Camp Rapidan all the way down to the Camp itself. The water was beautiful but no brookies to be seen. I was fishing #14 Mr. Rapidans and #16-14 tricos - no bites. Oh well, I'll have to go back and give it try from the bottom up I guess.
I can guarantee to you that there are brookies in those pools. However they head for the deepest holes and hide out when the weather and stream temps are as hot as they've been. You stand a shot if you can get weighted nymphs down to 'em, but it's very tough. Micro streamers supposedly work also, but I've never tried that. It's just very tough this time of year.

As for Murray's Fly Shop, he's on the wrong side of the mountains from DC so I haven't been there. I've read his book on fly fishing the SNP from cover to cover a couple times, though. I highly recommend it.

Last edited by diamond rush; 07-23-2013 at 12:25 PM.