View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 01:24 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Rapidan newbie Help Needed

I want to thank everyone for the help and the honest assessments. The reason I am interested in the Rapidan is because it is reputed as a top stream, one of the "must do" places. I think it is one of TU's top 100 in the U.S.
Personally, the idea of hiking up a mountain at the end of the day, when I'll already be tired, I wasn't looking forward to that so thanks on that aspect. I am planning on staying around Charlottesville so I'll drive up and start at the bottom. I still have lots of questions so I hope you don't mind me asking.
1. From Charlottesville to Grave's Mill- how much time does that drive take?
2. I have done some reading, initially I thought brown trout were in the lower areas and for brook trout you had to be higher up than camp Hoover but then it sounded like folks were catching brookies farther down. Hopefully by the end of September they might have spawning colors. I am really interested in only catching brookies as they aren't that common in a lot of areas. For targeting brookies in the last few days of September, what part of the river should I focus on and what type flies should I be using? It sounds like on the areas above camp Hoover you have to dap more than cast. I don't care what technique as long as I have the best shot at catching brook trout.