Thread: Sticky Fly Line
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 11:48 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sticky Fly Line

I can't imagine needing a tropical line in PA - absolutely for sure not one with a hard mono core, like most of the RIOs and the Cortland clear lines. They are too stiff and kinky for wade fishing just 100 miles north of me. Most of the guys up there like Air Flows like they use up north.

Even stiff tropical lines get very "sticky" just from salt water partially dried on the coating. and they don't cast well then. It takes only minutes for this to happen when laying on a skiff deck that's too hot to stand on in bare feet. But the lines aren't too"limp" and "mushy" to cast.

So if "sticky" describes the line better than "limp and mushy", I'd clean it good and grease it. I bring grease with me when skiff fishing and re-grease it two or three times while fishing just to cut down on the stickyness if I'm out all day.