View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: SLOOOWWWW action graphite rod?

I've said this so many times that it seems that I'm Click the image to open in full size.

However, that has never stopped me in the past so I'll say it again.

Any of the 1st generation Orvis Graphite rods will be a wise choice. These would be rods produced between 1975 & 1984. They were made in many lengths from 6'6" through 8'6" for the lighter line weights 3 - 6.

The Far & Fine #5 weight is perhaps the best known of the lot but any of them will preform like a slow fiberglass rod or with a simple change of stroke & timing you can tighten up the loop and throw 80' casts with relative ease.

They come for sale on eBay regularly but don't plan on them being cheap. It would seem that I am not the only person who understands the versatility of these rods because they sell regularly between 250.00 and 385.00 depending on the model, vintage, and condition.

The date of production is stamped on the butt cap of all but the earliest rods. If you buy post 1985, you will be getting a generation 2 rod which will simply not be the same.

I've been using a Far & Fine #5 since 1979, there is no way I could ever say enough good things about the rod.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;