View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 02:26 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Opinions on 6 wt rods?

For raw performance in the fast rod category, one that handles nymph multi-rigs, and large sculpins at the $200 price point. I would have to suggest the TFO BVK. This is a verrry fast action rod, but for throwing heavy junk with solid performance, this one is hard to beat at that low price. If you can save your pennies up to $495 the sage VXP is a nymphing and streamer fishing monster. I have the 5weight and it performs with the strength of a 6 weight when throwing sculpins and triple nymph rigs. Ive heard the vxp 6 weight is capable of throwing dead chickens all with a butter smooth casting stroke. This sage blank is so smooth its unbelievable. Obviously I own the rod so some may think this is a biased review, however, I've owned and traded/sold tons of different rods. After all the craziness I settled on the vxp as my go-to 5 weight all-rounder and it has simply blown away my expectations, so if you can give it a cast with some weight on the line at a fly shop if possible. Just a great blank. Also I have found the best line match for me and this rod is the scientific angler GPX taper #5, simply a magical combo. Anyway, get some rods in your hands and test cast before buying if you can because only you can decide which rod is best for you good luck