View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Redfish and Speckled Trout....

Quote:
If it breaks... so what... I know where you can get more.
Or you can just buy a Beulah that comes with a spare tip! (Still need to find where my dang 6wt spool is packed away so I can cast the thing)

A 6wt and an 8wt are definitely the standards for the Texas Coast, and you can expect to need the 8wt 80-90% of the time to beat the wind. I agree with Steve. A 9', faster action 8wt rod with a good reel and a good line are about all you need. Pair that up with a 7.5-9' 10-16 lb leader and some clousers and you're set!

Lots of lies besides clousers work on the coast, but you can cover lots of bases with them. Shallow, clear water and skittish fish: size 6 tan clouser with bead chain eyes. Need to get a fly down deeper and catch their attention: size 2 chartreuse lead eye clouser. A size 4 chartreuse clouser with oversized beadchain eyes is my standard go to fly on the coast. Let me know if you are tying your own and I can give you some suggestions for customized clousers that have worked very well for me down there.

Oh yeah, shuffle your feet!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.