View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 10:24 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why Did You Go There?

Blue Ribbon trout rivers crowded with "technical anglers"...could be me they are talking about. Having just returned from my annual, month long adventure in Idaho and Montana, a highlight of my season harking back to my greenhorn college years, I do fish famous and challenging rivers like the Fork, Silver Creek, Beaverhead and Missouri in addition to smaller, lesser known spring creek environments.

What is "technical"? I interpret it to mean a single dry fly artfully presented to a specific rising fish on flat surfaced, complex current waters typical of spring creeks and spring creek like tail water environments. It is technical because of the complexity of obtaining a fly first, long dead drift to a trout feeding in a protected lie offering the fish a good, hard look at the natural insects they are feeding upon and the precise imitations we hope mimic the actual organism. We may row or walk past pods of good fish rising in the main current until we find one fish bank feeding beneath an overhanging alder and wade to an optimal position to present to this difficult but fascinating fish.

Sure, I am not adverse to casually tossing an elk hair caddis in a riffle or throwing a big bait fish imitation at a rock pile hunting for striped bass, but I was fly fishing weaned on the Henry's Fork back in the 1970's and the overlapping, masking, match the stage of the hatch to the sipper protruding from beneath an elodea bed is at the core of my trout fishing passion equaled only by the oceanic version of stalking single bonefish on crystalline tropical flats.

I digress by mentioning flats fishing...Montana and Idaho offer greater diversity and quality of the rivers and streams I love and the opportunity to camp on the bank of the one whose flows, temperature and hatches are optimal at that moment. Some of my camps are further enhanced by being out of reach of cell service. When I crawl out of my tent in the middle of the night, the Milky Way is bright overhead and coyotes may celebrate a kill with a distant forlorn song muffled by the murmur of the river.