View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 12:24 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: 8wt. Reel Advice

Firstly, I do not believe there are very many great reels out there...more reels than ever? Yes. Many are not up to an 8 weight rods intended tasks, however. The Hatch is and, though I am sure someone has done it, I have yet to see a deformed reel foot. I have seen loose even missing screws on other reels though. I have one months experience with a Galvan Torque now and I like it. I wrote several months ago that I was intrigued by them and I did get one, a T-6 for my NRX #4...at 5.2 OZ. a perfect balance. I have a Hatch for trout and one for bones and Hatch seems more a salt reel to me. The Galvan on the other hand strikes me as more a trout reel. Nautilus FWX too is a trout reel to me and their NV is salty for sure. Similarly the Hardy Ultralite DD seems freshwater oriented while their Fortuna is clearly salt only. The Cheeky Reels feel salty to me as well. I am running out of reels to name without getting into the Abel/Tibor/Islander draw-bar triplets... One thing I like on a saltwater (or any reel for that matter) is a captive threaded spool release; spring loaded release mechanisms are far less trustworthy. The reel comparison referred to above, as much as I enjoy comparative analysis, was not that well informed or inclusive and many reels have much stronger drags than angling circumstances are likely to call for.