View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 01:16 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Did You Go There?

The reason I fish in Montana is because I live here. The reason I live here is because seventeen years ago I was restless and bored like many dreamers in their early twenties are. So I took a road trip to fill a romantic dream and drove to Montana with my dad. I left him at the train station in Whitefish and continued on my journey alone. I was mostly scared and nervous everywhere I camped by myself but after making my way down through Missoula, Jackson Hole, Moab, and Crested Butte a month later I decided to return home.

After a year and half of thinking about The West nearly everyday while painting houses I sold nearly all of my belongings and flew to San Francisco to begin another journey with a woman I loved. We traveled for 8 months living out of Crown Victoria circa 1989 when we passed through Missoula again. I don't know if it was simply road-weariness or serendipity, probably both, but we just decided we were done searching.

That was 14 years ago. My life has completely changed but my love of this place where I live persists and only grows stronger. I came here because I had to find out, I stay because now I need it. I don't get to fish like I did in those first 7 years I was here. I am grateful that I did it when I could. I love everything about this place; the geography, the people, the places, the attitudes, the landscape, the trout, the sheer size...