View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 02:56 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Flash flood possiblity in river Canyon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4peace1piece View Post
Good info, thanks.

I've fished the S. Platte below Cheesman (above Deckers) before and can't imagine a wall of brown water like that. Were you further downstream? or in the Deckers area (when that happened)?
We were in the canyon about a half mile upstream of the Wigwam Club. The water was flowing about 350 cfs that morning and we crossed to the other side of the river and at 350 cfs you have to be selective where you cross or you're asking for a dunk.

Had we not pulled stakes when we did, my brother and I would have spent a really uncomfortable night in the Canyon stuck on the far bank unable to cross back over. Not a pleasant thought.

My boy climbs 14 'er mountains and this time of the year their climbs start at 2-3 am in the morning with headlamps to see their way. They summit early and get off the mountain by 11 am..... before most folks have finished their Cheerios. I've been up there in the high country in those storms and they will scare the "bejeezes" out of you. They can also kill you.

You don't have to stay out of the mountains or be afraid but like I said "be careful"...be aware and be prepared.