View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 09:07 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Expensive waders, are they worth it?

Depends on your use. I live in my waders for 12 hour days at a time. I need comfort and durability. I get both with my G3 and G4 waders. My original G3's are from 2006 and going strong. I fish some nasty stuff, blast through grass and brush over my head, bang into rocks, down trees and barbed wire that I can't see due to high grass. No issues short term or long term. And did I mention comfort - they're by far the most comfortable waders I've ever wore.

I did manage to drive a size 2 hook into my waders this spring, with barb uncrimped. That did produce a nice little hole. The great thing about GorTex is how well it can be repaired with a little piece of GorTex fabric and some aqua seal. Like new.

I'll never buy cheap waders again. But that's my experience. Everyone is different.

I will say that the price of these Simms is getting pretty darn high and the G3's are almost $100 more now than they were when I bought my first pair. I'm all for improving products, but I'd like to see them let the G3's alone and keep the price down rather than improving them with their new more breathable wader fabric - leave that to the the G4's or make a G5. You can't halt progress I guess but sooner or later they may price me out. I do have limits on how much I want to spend on things and I can get a lifetime big game reel for the price of their new G4's...