View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 04:45 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of
Default Re: the Wind River Range is paradise on Earth (pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamborn_jr77 View Post
AMAZING TRIP! I have been wanting to do a backpacking trip for a long time now!!
Well the Winds are only a short drive away from Hill AFB. I know where Hill is because my father was a commercial airline pilot (and USAF), and was climbing out after takeoff from SLC in a B-767, and a F-16 out of Hill AFB turned directly into their path. Seconds before the 767 started taking emergency maneuvers, the F-16 realized his mistake and banked sharply away. My pops said they were so close, he could read the markings on the F-16. When this happens, the airline pilots are supposed to report the offending aircraft, but after discussing it with the co-pilot, my father said, "Nah!! No report!! It's probably just some young kid right out of the academy. He's all by himself up there close to the airport. He probably just got a little too busy and forgot to keep looking around for traffic. Honest mistake!!!!......there's no reason to have him busted!!!" This was 15 years ago. My father is long retired and that young hot-shot out of Hill is probably got his butt in a commercial airliner by now.

And that's my Hill story