View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 09:22 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fluorocarbon tippet - different than fluorocarbn line?

Ryan, I haven't purchased tippet material in a lot of years. IMO, what you decide to use will depend on how you're using it. Here's my perspective on tippet material versus regular lines.

First, I have the highest regard for the opinions of Silver Creek & MoscaPescador, as they always provide sensible opinions & world class information. However, IMO, unless you're primarily fishing tiny flies, it won't matter much for most anglers.

As far as breaking strength & diameter comparing the two materials, what they're saying is true. But you have to decide if those advantages are worth the additional cost to you. For me it's not. I would rather buy a bulk spool of line, one which I might also use on other tackle, than buy the tippet. If additional strength is needed, I simply go to a heavier material. Breaking strengths are also averages, tested & determined in a controlled manner. Fishing is seldom controlled. As long as I use a line of sufficient strength for the fishing I'm doing, I pay little attention to what's on the label.

Diameter is not usually an issue for me either, even though as Silver Creek pointed out, there are advantages to smaller diameter. Regardless, there will always be compromises. You have to decide if or how it will affect the fishing you do. If you look at the chart Silver posted above, and was to lay tippets of various brands in a similar size side by side, you would likely need a micrometer to see any difference. Minute differences, not huge.

I don't do much trout fishing, and the little I might do now doesn't justify buying tippet. The bulk spools work fine. Even when I fish smaller size flies, I can tie the fly on a heavier tippet via a loop & have little problems with drift.
I also haven't used a dry fly for many, many years. When I have fished surface flies for trout, they're terrestrials which usually plop down on the water & move around anyway. Drag is not often a problem.

I'm also not a big fan of fluoro. IMO, the "invisible in water" is hype. No one can prove to me that fish can't see it, and even if they can't, I've never believed it makes any difference anyway. I've often fished jigs with baitcasting rods & 65 lb hi vis yellow braid, where I tie direct to the jig & have caught plenty of bass. They don't know what that line is & cannot reason that it's not good. If a trout can see a size 28 midge, then chances are they can see fluoro line, or at least know it's there. Before fluoro lines, plenty of fish, including trout were caught on line they certainly could see. There might be a time that I find that fluoro makes a difference, but as yet I've not experienced it.

Drag on the other hand, or the reflection of sunlight off a line material, or even the imprint of the material laying on the surface can be an issue, but it can be with any material.

Even the advantage of suppleness aiding with drag free drift as Silver Creek has said, is not a guarantee of the end result. There are still other factors involved in getting that drag free drift. His point is valid about using material that aids in getting that drag free drift, so if you feel it's necessary to use fluoro tippet, then use it.

If you're not primarily fishing tiny flies, and particularly dry flies, then the regular fluoro or mono/polymer/copolymer lines will all work.

I was told by a fellow once, many, many years ago that I "had" to use tippet material to catch trout. I found out that Stren works too! Go figure!

There are no absolutes in fly fishing. There are compromises. IMO, if you feel that tippet material is an advantage to you which justifies the cost, then most certainly buy it & use it. If you don't feel the additional cost justifies any advantage you might gain, then don't buy it.

It's really is as simple as that.

BTW, I tie my own leaders & use Yozuri Hybrid for the leader & tippet. This is a fluoro coated material. I like the additional abrasion resistance, and it casts well.

It has worked very well for me, and I like it on some of my baitcasters & spinning reels also. Since I'm primarily a bass, panfish & saltwater angler I see no reason to buy tippet materials or to change what I'm doing.

Results will always vary!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!