View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 10:15 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Dunkable" 8wt. Fly Reel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneltyr View Post
I am attracted to the idea of a used Abel 3N or a used Tibor Everglades but am worried about the dunking. The Abel Super8 seems even less "dunkable" with all the porting. I know they are great reels but I am absolutely going to end up dunking them while wading. Not that I'm going to try to - it's just going to happen.
My Super 6 Large Arbor is my fall workhorse. During that time of year, it is being used for trophy trout and fall run steelhead. The reel gets dunked more times than I care for. It does not have any performance issues.

My old school Big Game 3N gets used mostly for warm water fishing mostly nowadays, but it sees saltwater from time to time. Like my Super 6, the reel has been dunked more times than I care for. Again, it has not had any performance issues.

Abel Reels are very dependable. Consider them as the AK47 of the fly fishing reel industry. A simple rinse out and some regular maintenance will keep them fishing for years.

Dennis