View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 11:51 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: 8wt. Reel Advice

Sweet,

I don't know what they'd do at Hatch, since a bent up reel foot would not be a factory defect. I'd only surmise that they would sell you a new frame. Either that or mill off the integrated one and put on a conventional one with machine screws.

I would probably just do that myself since I have the equipment to do it.

As for screws freezing solid, That can be a big problem in the salt. I have had to mill them out using micro sized center cutting end mills on a vertical milling machine on both Ross and Hardy reels. There is no way it could have been done with a drill press.

Part of the problem is the fine metric threads, another is the use of phillips instead of slotted screws. Probably a dab of fingernail polish on the screw threads during assembly, or a number of loctite products would have solved the problem, however.

The best way to remove frozen screws after soaking with PB Blaster is to back it with something solid and rap the appropriate screwdriver (or better, an impact driver) with a light hammer pretty hard. If an impact driver, have it set to tighten not loosen. Then re-set the driver to loosen and rap it again.

One thing that baffles me about the Nautilus NV is that they tout ceramic bearings in that reel. However, since those bearings are contained within the "completely waterproofed" sealed drag unit, why should they be necessary?

A year ago, I'd have said that the Mako was the best bargin of all the high end reels on the market, and waa going to buy one when I had the money for wade/surf fishing (which I hope to start doing more of). About a week before I made my decision they jumped their prices 4 or 500 bucks - and there is still a waiting list of 2-3 months to get one.

For boat fishing, sealed drags lose their importance, in my opinion, and make it far harder and way more costly to come up with good drags without eating up considerable spool capacity and winding up with gigantic reels.