View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 04:22 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Abel Model Confusion - Please Help

I use an Abel Big Game 3N for an 8 wt. A good price for one new is under $400 on the big auction site. You can also get a discontinued Abel Super 6 with a standard arbor - it's the same reel but has more porting and is lighter. The Big Game reels have been discontinued as well as most of the original Super Series. The new Super Series all have a "N" after the numerical portion of the name - meaning narrow spool. The newer Super series are narrower and taller than the first Super Series, hence the N.

I fish mostly Big Game and original Super series reels, save two new Super 4N's I have. With the first Super Series, I stay away from the Super 5 and the Super 8 because they're too wide for me. Fine reels and a matter of preference, I simply prefer the narrower reels. That would lend itself to the new Abel line of Super Series but the cost outweighs the benefit IMO.

These links may help you understand Abel. I've studies them over the years so I know them pretty well - and they helped me quite a bit while building my stable of reels.

Abel Reels - Specifications

Abel Reels - Big Game Fly Fishing | Big Game Fly Reels

New Abel Super Series

They're great reels. It seems they've been discussed quite a bit recently on the forum. They're not for everybody and they're not necessary for all applications - but that doesn't stop me from using them on even my smallest 3 wt rod, which I use an old Big Game 0. I bought a discontinued Abel Super 9 last week for my new 9 weight.

Cheers,
Mike.