View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 08:27 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: "Dunkable" 8wt. Fly Reel?

On my second trip out with my 7/8N I dropped it in the sand after it was good and wet. I was mortified. When I turned the spool it sounded like a cement mixer. The fix was simple, I just dunked it several times in the salt water and went on fishing like nothing ever happened. Before I left the beach for the long drive home, I loosened the drag knob out to the stop and rinsed it real good in the water fountain. This all happened around 2am on a new moon by the way. When I got home I did my usual post fishing rinse in the shower and set it off to dry. The next morning I took it apart to see how much sand was in it only to find the smallest bit in the grease of the pawl spring. I simple wipe down removed the last little bit. Needless to say I was very pleased with how fast I was back in the game and how well the reel performs in all conditions. When I bought the reel I wanted a classic that didn't dance to the current marketing hype. What I got was all that plus an actual real life hardcore reel that performs better than anything else I have owned in the toughest environments. Expensive yes, worth it, you bet you sweet cheeks.

Some may balk about the spool change process but in all the years I have fished not once have I ever needed too. I have had reels with spare spools loaded and ready to go just sit in their pouch year after year. I can't handle that sort of guilt so now even if I could get another spool and change it easily, I don't. Besides, it doesn't take that long to changes lines themselves.