Thread: New Scott Rod?
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 12:37 PM

jastrout is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Scott Rod?

Test Cast: Ok lets set the stage , this is not Yellowstone shootout but an, average Joe caster that is gear junkie.Took two rods to compare, Scott G-2 8'8" 5 ( only Scott I own ) and Helios 1 8'6"5 midflex ( last modern graphite purchased) . Use my reel ( Hatch 3 with new Rio Gold WF 5). Generic leader 9' 5 weight. Appearance : My barometer are custom glass rods by Mike Mcfarland , Matt Leiderman, and Larry Kenney . Three of the best. Well the Scott looks custom built. Shames the G2 but not a fair comparison . This rods looks the M series offered in the Scott web site. It is that attractive. Weight : Feels light super light in hand. I only casted the 905 to compare to my two personal rods with me. Feels like three weight. Ok is it lighter than Helios? W/O looking at figures it feels in my mitts identical. Frigging super light and balance.
Now to first cast: Again I am no Joan Wulff just average on good day but boy it made me look smooth. But so does the Helios. Is it fast? Yes comparing to any graphite that I own . Never casted a Sage One, Zenith, and my most powerful five weight is two piece 8'6" 5 GLoomis IM6 Blank, my Sages are SLT and ZXL. Faster than both of them BUT touch felt the same. Again just lawn casting opinion. . Much different than G 2 as stronger butt and swing weight was lighter. But I felt it could present a dry fly in same fashion. To me it was totally different rod with line speed ability with close approach finesse. I did not really match it against the Helios as there is the H2 and frankly 15-20 minutes is not enough time or sophisticated tests to do so. Buy it yes or no? Can this rod do more than anything I own now? Or will I catch more trout than using my Redington CT's ? Latter no but for $800 plus It may be well worth selling some unused rods and have one rod for my particular stream needs here in Pa. Again this was no way a report more than alittle behind the shop lawn playtime no real stream test but never have felt such an unique rod the instant I casted it.