View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 02:32 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ????3wt or 4wt line????

I ask how far would you normally be casting the line? That will determine the average line mass outside of the rod; and more than anything else, this will determine the best weight fly line to get.

For example if you are going to normally cast the fly 40 feet, that would be about 8 foot of fly rod, 8 feet of leader and 24 or so feet of fly line. It is still not the theoretical 30 feet of line to "balance" the rod. My suspicion is that you will make 90+% of your casts will not require 30 feet of fly line. So get a 4 weight fly line. Unless you are going to routinely cast long, I'd get a DT 4 wt line.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy