View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 03:12 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: I Met Myself Last Night...

If one was to sit beside me at the tying desk and start delving into the personal journals of "The Streamside Life & Times of Montgomery Jackson," one would quickly realize how astute and observant the man truly was of his surroundings at any given moment. Make no mistake about it... The late Montgomery Jackson WAS one heckuva fly fisherman, among the best I've ever shared a river with! And, he also was the best kind of lifelong friend imaginable...

Today, as I drew near to the bottom of box #2 of the late "Montgomery Jackson" boxes sent my way, I re-discovered bits and pieces of another part of the man as well-- his love of a good upland bird covert, come the first week of October, and his journaling of such. He loved his trout and the beauty of their favorite haunts, but he also thoroughly enjoyed following a good bird dog when the river valley colored red and orange, and the woodcock migration was on. To him, the smell of a good tobacco properly packed into a small "vest" pipe was best savored in the October air.

After reading a few pages of the two leather journals held together by a nice piece of belted strapping, I found myself wishing for another gunning season of my own behind an English setter who once owned my heart. "Shadows" embodied the will to win out over abuse early on in her life, and a fluid and athletic grace and style in her work afield. Plainly put, she was the best bird dog to ever lay claim to me.

So, come the second week or so of the October yet to be, I'm making plans for a "reunion tour," of sorts. I've started contacting the aging membership of the "A&A Brotherhood of the Spent Shell" for a few days of the infamous "Cast and Blast" outings, all launching from the confines of "Trail's End." We'll do it up right, with morning hunts, afternoons of fly-wrangling, and cool twilights on the front porch at "Trail's End" before retiring to spots near the woodstove or the fireplace. The place will pulse with life again, much the same as it did during the last season we all shared in its comforts with the best host imaginable-- the late Montgomery Jackson. He'll be a tough act to follow...

Oh, the "A&A" part of the name? The initials stand for "Alders & Aspens," two of those unique places favored by our dogs and their birds then and now, and coverts known to a small group of guys who all will pay due respect before the first hunt, and remember fondly the man who brought us to that most special of places-- the small cabin known as "Trail's End..."