View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 06:18 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: I Met Myself Last Night...

Though Sunday has long been acknowledged as a "day of rest," today will be anything but lacking in workload. With the temperatures forecast for the upper 60's to low 70's, family and a few friends will gather at "Trail's End" early this afternoon to finish up some of the "ready for Fall" chores that are in need of doing, in order to make the small cabin fully prepared for the months that lie ahead.

Collectively, the chores will be split up to play on each participant's strengths. One "fishing cronie" is a wizard with engines and the like, and he'll give the old power-generating unit its final "once-over" before topping off the fuel tank and running it for a short while, just to make sure it will fire up when needed. Once finished with that, he'll turn his attention to the old tractor, going over it from "stem to stern" before taking it down the two-track and using it to haul the last trailer-load of fire wood back to the cabin.

At that point, stacking wood will become a group exercise. We'll lay in a face cord or two along the back wall of the front porch within easy reach of the door, top off the wood box inside the cabin, and then stack and fill the spaces left in the wood shed. After re-checking the window caulking and general integrity of the place, we all will sit and watch the sun settle behind the western treelines.

And, as the last of the trucks leave, me and mine will settle in for a night at "Trail's End." The lights will be lit, and I'll put match to paper and let the fireplace roar to life, taking the chill off the cabin's interior and adding even more illumination to the old place. Dinner will be something of a "meat and potato" kind of thing, since my own cooking skills fall far short of anything more than that.

It will be good to be back for more than just an afternoon of "sweat equity" or an hour or two of twilight enjoyment. And, as the shadows grow long, I will resist my urge to read any further in the journals and do a little more "cubby-hole" exploration before no doubt dosing off in front of the fire. Who knows? Among the late Montgomery Jackson's "nooks and crannies," I may come across new discoveries, and find my "tomorrow thoughts" again pondering the fact that "I Met Myself-- Again --Last Night..."