View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 07:23 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Non-ceramic Bobbins

No argument here either! Excellent solution too & certainly inexpensive!

We're both thinking in the same terms, buy the better tool.

My question was only stemming from experience with beads that were not very good quality. I figured you might have a better handle on a particular brand or supplier.

I'm sure they vary a great deal.

Some of my older bobbins were damaged so badly that they didn't even work well for wire, at least not lead wire. I don't even use a bobbin for wire now.

When I tying commercially, I got into the habit of measuring & cutting the lead wire into lengths so I could duplicate the added weight each time I tied a particular pattern, and I kept notes about each pattern.

I gave the Tiemco ceramic tube bobbins a try, but didn't like them. Personal preference, nothing more. All the ones I use now are Griffin with the insert in the tube. A lot of the tying I do is with the Griffin Rod Wrapping bobbin, which is made to hold a 1 oz spool, and Danville Flat Nylon, my favorite tying thread, is available in 1 oz spools.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!