View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 07:23 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Non-ceramic Bobbins

No argument here either! Excellent solution too & certainly inexpensive!

We're both thinking in the same terms, buy the better tool.

My question was only stemming from experience with beads that were not very good quality. I figured you might have a better handle on a particular brand or supplier.

I'm sure they vary a great deal.

Some of my older bobbins were damaged so badly that they didn't even work well for wire, at least not lead wire. I don't even use a bobbin for wire now.

When I tying commercially, I got into the habit of measuring & cutting the lead wire into lengths so I could duplicate the added weight each time I tied a particular pattern, and I kept notes about each pattern.

I gave the Tiemco ceramic tube bobbins a try, but didn't like them. Personal preference, nothing more. All the ones I use now are Griffin with the insert in the tube. A lot of the tying I do is with the Griffin Rod Wrapping bobbin, which is made to hold a 1 oz spool, and Danville Flat Nylon, my favorite tying thread, is available in 1 oz spools.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!