View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 01:07 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Who all custom ties flies for sale?

I know that no one likes it when people tell them that they can tie their own, and its all too common of an answer here, but I thought I'd take a different approach to it.

Here is really ALL YOU NEED to tie up as many gurglers as you'd likely ever use:

1x Standard cheapo vice ($10-$15 or maybe free from someone here)
1x bobbin ($6)
1x spool of black thread ($2)
1x Scissors (you already have these, I hope)
1x bag of hackle ($5)
1x strip of buck tail ($4)
1x length of chenille ($3)
1x square of craft foam ($1)
1x bag of hooks ($5)

And that is it. With these materials, you can get tie up your favorite pattern over and over and over for around $26 without vice and $36 with vice. Some of the items above could also be factored out if you have them or just want to leave them out.

With these basic materials, you could also tie up a bunch of other fly types. After a while, the shipping cost of purchasing gurglers time and again will pay for this cheap setup.

Like I said, I know its annoying to hear "tie your own" when all you want is a straight answer, but I thought this more detailed breakdown might just turn a little light bulb on.