View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 02:32 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Help identifying flies

Welcome to the sport! Sorry you have douches at your local shop. Here's a bit of advice I'd give. Its not about flies as the selection mentioned above can't be beat for a basic western trout starter (and the wooly buggers and prince nymphs (bead head) will work fine on bluegill.
The tip I have is to learn to read the water. After bass fishing and saltwater fishing in the South I was at sea looking at a trout stream. The first couple of times I dove from DC to WVa to fish I got nada. Then I found a book in the outfitters I worked at called "Reading the Water". It was a revelation.
The cliff notes version is that trout are lazy. They want to be in calm water waiting for the food to come to them. So, you'll find them on the edges. Slicks behind rocks, or where the current between eddies and the main flow meet, the drop offs to pools, holding beneath undercut banks, or behind driftwood etc. Once you know where to look, it becomes relatively easy. You just need to do two things. 1, put your fly there so it floats with the current rather than getting behind a belly of line, and 2, pick the right fly.

Now there's volumes to learn about both, but as a beginner I got into a whole lot of trout by doing what was advised in the posts above. Making short casts, and using high percentage flies like the Adams. I'd be SOL in a hatch, but on any given day? There were fish to be had.

If you want the book and have an E reader like a Kindle or Nexus its 11 bucks and worth it if you're trying to teach yourself.
Here's the URL.
Good luck!

Reading The Water (David Hughes Fishing Library): Dave Hughes: 9780811722636: Amazon.com: Books Reading The Water (David Hughes Fishing Library): Dave Hughes: 9780811722636: Amazon.com: Books