View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 09:02 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the secret to casting with an indicator

The water-haul is my secret to nymphing with an indicator. As Silver said, false casts are a no-no. On a water-haul, make sure you utilize the backbone of your rod by loading it with the current and then sending it upstream. One secret I have found is to point my rod tip at the end of the haul to where I want my flies to end up and lo-and-behold that's where they go.

If I don't like where my rig ended up I will load it with the water again from the upstream position make a back-cast and then fire it to where I want the drift to start. Works like a charm. Allowing the water to load your rod makes a lot of sense and really makes the job of casting multi-nymph indicator rigs quite easy. Again, keep the multiple false casts out of the equation - load, fire and drop to fish the next stretch.

Kelly.