View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 04:02 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Mullet! I actually caught a mullet!

Okay, first, for you Yankees, I'm not talking about the haircut. The mullet is a herbivorous bait fish that hits about two pounds tops. The upside is that they make strong fast runs and jump three feet in the air when they are bored. Catching one on a fly is considered (among redneck fishermen anyway) the Holy Grail. Forget permit, give me a mullet on a 4 weight. And damned if I didn't get one. Usually the procedure is to chum with bread and tie a "yeasty beastie" a small shiny ball of tan dubbing with a bobber (er.....strike indicator). I tried. I failed.

However, purely by accident, I drug a size ten bonefish fly in front of one, and it hit the thing. Why, I have no idea. But I will tell you that even on a six weight that thing kept me alert and focused. It was about 12 inches and a very healthy fish. It made bone fish worthy runs and it jumped worthy of a tarpon. It was very cool. I wasn't gunning for it and it was purely a fluke, but it was like fighting a combo of a jack and a lady fish. I am thoroughly stoked.

I need to fish at night more, because even if the sheep's head aren't biting? The mullet might be.