View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 12:54 AM

furnacefella is a jewel in the roughfurnacefella is a jewel in the roughfurnacefella is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Brown Trout Pics

Not a great picture and it certainly doesn't do this guy justice. The net in the picture is just over 10" wide and I estimate him to be over 25" long. Absolutely hammered a brown para-drake as soon as it hit the water.

The reason I wanted to post a picture of him is because of the epic battle he put up. Hooked him on a 6 wt Z-Axis, the weak link being the 3.4 lb powerflex tippet. He made several runs within a couple of revolutions of the backing and the Hardy DD was just screaming. He had current to help but up stream or down stream he was calling the shots.

It was 20 minutes of just awesome. I thought for sure he was foul hooked and had pretty much given up on landing him. I had hoped just to get a good look at him before dark when he came to the surface and I was able to steer him into the shallows.

Not the biggest fish I have caught but by far my best experience with a trout on a fly. I didn't want to risk stressing him more so just grabbed a quick shot with the cell phone and he was off like a shot.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

This one my son and I got on a small stream. Same net in this shot as above to give an idea of size. I netted it for him after another great battle that could have went either way. Mitch made a delicate cast with a tiny white para-drake to fool this guy.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Have I mentioned how much I love Brown Trout?