View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 04:36 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Broke my Winston today

Coming round a bend in the Beav with my bud on the sticks, the Clacka was pushed harder into the corner than we anticipated. His ONE with Super 5 was rigged with the fly on a forward guide and leader wrapped around the reel. A thin branch on a dead willow at the apex snagged between the line and rod and yanked it out of the boat. It hung by its tip top, Abel bouncing to the current's beat, as we swept down river.

We franticly tried to drop the hook but the run was 4' deep and too strong. It was a quarter mile before a riffle appeared ahead and we were able to anchor. Leaping from the boat my partner raced through the willow thickets and swampy channels upstream toward his prized outfit and, as the fragile twig bent and threatened to loose it precarious hold at any moment, he reached out and saved his Sage.

Years ago, another friend made a similar error on the same river nearly flipping the drift boat. That deadfall alder was a bigger tree and his rod was thrown from the boat, a Loomis GLX Max Line Speed with an original Charlton reel. It was never recovered and he still missis it to this day. Has anyone here ever found such an outfit downstream of High Bridge a ways?

We have suffered virtually no rod breakage in these many seasons of Idaho/Montana adventures but have come close to or actually lost rods in so many ways I could compose a book chapter about it. Maybe someday.