View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 09:33 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reel recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
That's a good question. I'm dithering about what kind of backing to put on a Medalist for 5 wt. I probably won't see the backing, but if I do I don't want it all bunched up either. I'm curious to hear the replies to this. It would be nice be able to use the thinner braids (though spendier).
Just put on 20 pound Dacron, and call it good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_n_duck View Post
But that brings up another question: Has anyone tried using the newer braided fishing lines as backing? I would want to use a heavy enough line to avoid the coils getting buried and tangled, but I would think you could find a diameter that would prevent this, yet a smaller diameter than 30# dacron (or even 20#), thereby allowing an increased yardage of backing with the added advantage of it being an appreciably heavier test.
I use 50 pound braids from different brands (Cortland, Scientific Anglers, Daiwa) on all my heavier rigs (10 weight and above). The diameter of these braids is roughly the same diameter as 20 pound test Dacron. I have not had issues of the braids getting tangled or buried.

Dennis