View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 11:55 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Essential fly fishing gear/accessories.

No matter the type of fishing, I've gotten into the habit of carrying nippers, hemostats and/or long nose pliers, a multi tool Swiss Army knife and some other type of knife. I have several small pocket knives & several stationary blade knives. Depending on where I'm going & what I'm doing will dictate the knives I'll carry. I also always carry a sharpening stone or file for hooks & the knives.

Fred, that whistle is a great idea. I've read that before, but never obtained one.

Other items I feel are essentials are sunglasses, and a proper hat. Sunscreen or appropriate clothing should be essential depending on the conditions. Skin cancer is no joke!

IMO, spools of line (tippet or otherwise) & spare leaders are essential but should not be something you have to decide on or not.

If you fish the surf or big water from a boat or wading, a good stripping basket can be essential, but that would likely be situation dependent. They can get in the way too.

I'm the opposite with glasses. Mine have bi-focals built in, but frankly I can see great up close. My sight becomes an issue beyond about 3 ft.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!