View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 11:04 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making Welded Loops In Spey Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebum View Post
Have you guys ever used exposed loops rather than welded loops? I have one line with exposed loops that works really well. It creates less of a profile to get caught in the guides while stripping.

I have created welded loops with heat shrink tubing (like in the vids above). I wonder if exposed loops could be done the same way. Maybe Steve Godshall has done this before Fred?
Honestly don't know the difference. (My Bad?) Have a link to an 'exposed loop?' Only thing that comes to mind is you strip back 2-3 inches of the end of the fly line and glue/wrap the core line back (loop) with fly tye thread. If that's the case (again my bad) it works with light single handers- light leaders. Heaver/longer stuff will 'hinge' like heck. If you want to give this a 'try' make the loop as small as possible.

The 'transfer of energy' from fly line to leader just doesn't have the 'stiffness' to keep it from doing a flop with a 'large loop.'

Fred