View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 06:40 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: I Met Myself Last Night...

The small key sat wrapped in an ultra-thin piece of the same paper used in the old Mustad boxes to prevent rust and preserve the hooks. It had been placed between the mid-pages of the chapter that comprises my current reading of the personal journals of the late Montgomery Jackson. Beneath it sat one small piece of paper that simply read "Have you found the hidden doors yet?" Under my breath, I'll admit to uttering something that I can't repeat here...

Like my grandfather and his "challenges" via the occasional puzzle, the late Montgomery Jackson held true to form in that regard. Just when the target of said "challenges"-- me --gets comfortable with things as he perceives them to be, the proverbial "wrench" is thrown into the works, and another quest to find the answer begins again. And, if you were to ask for an honest observation, I'd have to admit that I'm enjoying such puzzles more now than ever before.

To understand the whole "hidden door" aspect, one would have to be familiar with the interior makings of a northern Michigan cabin of vintage age. Back in the day-- and even now --tongue-and-groove cedar was a favorite wall covering, as it tends to lend a certain warmth and beauty to the walls, especially when stained and sealed properly. And, if the builder was good with a fine-bladed saw, the doors to any array of cabinets, closets and "nooks" easily could be cut in and fit in such a way that it would avoid easy detection. Obviously, it has escaped notice by yours truly during the recent months.

So, come the end of the front-porch "firewood duties" around here, the two-track leading back to "Trail's End" will again play host to the tires of the ol' "Fish Truck," and the "scavenger hunt" of sorts will be back in play once more. What "discoveries" still remain is anybody's guess. For now, however, I'm just going to relax and enjoy trying to solve another one of the late Montgomery Jackson's never-ending "puzzles" of the best kind...