View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 06:44 AM

stolenhorse is on a distinguished road
Default Wife needs a new stick

My wife and I are gettting more inro fly fishing lately. I have purchased myself a new Sage launch 9' 5wt 2 piece. I can manage 50 60 yards no problem with 5wt line. For now my wife is using an 8 1/2' 7wt Dogwood Canyon. But it feels more like a 5 or 6 light. I've had this rod a long time. A large Arbor lightweigh martin is mounted on it and she is using 7wt floating weigh froward Scientic Angler line. For now we have been fishing for blugill on several local lakes out in the boat. She is getting about 30-40 yards max but she doing ok and catching fish. We are both lefties. She is 5' 7" 135 lbs. Strong woman. I'm 6' 210. We are both mid late 50's. We fish a LOT. She seems to handle the 8 1/2 ft better than my 9'. We fish Weekends and once or twice during week. Later this summer, possibly fall we will be heading up to the White river area Arkansas. Hope the water levels are low and consistant but I know how its been. I have been up there several times in the last few years. But mostly spinning out of a boat. We want to wade/flyfish. I have been reseaching rods galore. For now I'm leaning toward her a Hobbs Creek 8 1/2 5 or 6 wt, an orvis 8 1/2 ft 5 or 6 wt Clear water 11, A St Crox Imperial 8 1/2' 5wt and several othr rods in that quality and price range. Nothing against the Ross and Sage and some other low end higher cost s rods either. These rods I have been reviewing just seem to be decent quality for the money. Any suggestions? And do you think she should stick with the 8 1/2 ft 5wt? Thanks