View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 10:46 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Furled Leaders for Spey

Quote:
Originally Posted by glcaddis View Post
So a dredger with a sink tip and longer leader with a floating tip. Makes sense, my question or concern is with longer rods, the recommendation seems to be, "leader at least as long as the rod." How does that stack up with furled leaders?
NO! If you're using any kind of 'sink tip' you want a short leader! (2 - 3 feet at most.) Even if you're using a weighted fly water pressure will force thing 'up.' Simple 'hydraulics.'

Even with a heavy fly off the end of a 'dry line leader' you'll have the fly pop to the surface at the end of a drift. Well, maybe not a feather brick, but even that won't be that far under water the last 1/4'ish of your drift.

Just trust me on this one. Other folks may "agree to disagree," and I'd like to 'agree' with them, but then both of us would be wrong.

As to 'Furled Leaders' they're the 'Cat's meow' for a floating head like a Scandi (never tried one on a full on floater). The things are built with a 'rod weight' in mind, not 'one size only.' Takes a tiny bit of adjusting with your cast (SLOOOOOW DOWN!) but they lay out like a yardstick at the end of your cast. 3-4 foot of regular mono leader off the tippet ring and you're in business. You can (at least I can) get them in 'full float,' intermedite sink and (over stated) full sink (those you have to 'goop up.') But for intermediate/low water conditions ..... SO YES.

fae

fae