View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 07:23 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: I Met Myself Last Night...

When a man-- me --reflects on 50+ years spent astream and afield, he comes to realize that the lifelong adventures are really a compilation of "good days," "better days," and grandest of them all... "best days." The closing chapter to the personal journals of the late Montgomery Jackson lent credence to this fact.

Written as my elderly friend was approaching his final "curtain call" on this earth, he again stated for the record a belief that we'd both long shared in our respective and collective lives-- There are NO bad days on the river, or in the coverts of October! Truer words have never been spoken, nor written down as a reminder of how blessed we all are to be fly-wranglers, bird-hunters, or just fanciers of the Great Outdoors. A river valley in full October color is, indeed, an outdoor, open-air cathedral without equal...

Last Fall, before the passing of the late Montgomery Jackson, we enjoyed what he had deemed as one of those "best days," a grand afternoon spent just floating countless miles of the AuSable River system in a vintage AuSable riverboat. The colors were full-on along the riverbanks, and the fly rods never left their cases. Instead, we passed the hours swapping "fish tales" and pointing out the sights and sounds that changed around every bend in the river. On that day, we were privy to everything from a virtual palette of Nature's finest color array to black bear, whitetails and every form of migrating fowl imaginable. And, in the "jacket-weather" of that day, one couldn't have asked for more.

Reflecting upon that one particular day and the relentless bantering back and forth, the fact really hits home that some of our "best days" astream can be, and often are, those that involve precious little fishing at all...