View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 03:34 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Embarrassing confession

As to whether I use furled leaders, I do not. I find regular mono leaders sufficient for my use.

Many fishers prefer furled leaders because they do lay out a cast straight. I am able to do that with a regular mono leader and there are some disadvantages of furled leaders. The taper and length before the tippet section cannot be modified. You need to change out the leader. They spray more water than a mono leader. They don't seem to be the best for nymphing or adapting for various weights of the nymphing rigs I use.

The furling helps protect small tippets because they stretch. There is stretch but with that there is rebound as well. If you hook a fly on a tree and you pull breaking the tippet, the leaders can bounce back and tangle itself. A tangled furled leader is a sight to behold since it has multiple filaments.

I think this is one of those decisions in which the individual must decide whether the castability and tippet protection over rides the other issues. I have asked Gary Borger about whether he has tried furled leaders and he told me that he can do anything a furled leader can do and more with a regular leader. But few can cast on Gary's level. So try it and see if it is for you.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy