View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 05:06 AM

tbum2020 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Roll Casting for Accuracy and Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
My rod of choice right now is a 6wt 7'10", although it casts very well, I found it is hard to be consistent in accuracy and distance. It needs plenty of fly line to turn over, or the cast will just pile up.
I also need to stop my forward cast very high almost at 11 o'clock and angle it at 60 with more snap on the wrist to cast only ok.

I found out that a single hand T-snap, snake roll or dynamic roll casts are better than the regular roll.

Now is it just my bad technique or is it just the nature of shorter fly rod?
The shorter rod will def. prevent you from roll casting as you would with a longer rod. The roll cast is dependent on maximizing the initial velocity of the "action" in order to create the maximum reaction (distance), a longer rod will give you a greater range of motion which allows you to create a greater initial velocity or load. Unlike a normal cast where you have nothing limiting your back cast therefore distance is ultimately maximized through the transfer of momentum. The waters I fish absolutely depend on the roll cast and with my wulff triangle taper, a 9ft 5wt and a spey like preload can roll cast the full 30yds of line if necessary. Also, I roll cast with a with a rod action across my body. I roll cast with my right hand and load across my body with the line traveling over my left shoulder. I don't know how normal that is but def. allows me to roll cast prob. 40% further. I now actually find myself roll casting in situations where a basic forward cast could be achieved.

---------- Post added at 06:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
I found out that a single hand T-snap, snake roll or dynamic roll casts are better than the regular roll.rod?
I love the snake roll too!