View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 05:58 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Two-handed Overhead casting

I took a lesson yesterday with Topher Brown on overhead, two-had casting. I've wanted to do that for some time now, as I get shoulder weary after swinging my 9 wt. for Stripers all day.

Marty had bought me a two-handed Sage VXP 13'3" 7 wt. specifically for this about a year and a half ago and after having gotten a reel and a 520 Scandi line for it, it had sat since then in my rod rack. So, I was ready......

After a little classroom discussion, we headed for a stretch of the Ogunquit River, in Ogunquit, ME, that's about a mile and a half up from the mouth; a great place to learn to cast (particularly at low tide, when you can "hit the opposite bank" with a very mediocre cast.......... ).

I couldn't believe how much easier it is to get the line out there with a two-handed rod, casting overhead, not Spey style. The range of motion with both the right and left hand (I'm right handed) is just a faction of what I use with a single-handed 9 wt. when I'm trying to get the line way out there and most of the motion is with the left hand; I ended up with a casting stroke that moved my right hand about 8"; that's all.

This is definitely going to be the way that I fish for Stripers going forward (probably Bonefish, Permit, etc., too). What an easy casting stroke and what a nice result.

Since I tend to horse my rod a little on the final presentation cast, my mantra from Topher was "less is more". Turns out he was right. At the end of the day I was using probably 20% of the power that I was using at the start and getting good distance.

Now, next time with a fly on...........

Pocono