Thread: starting flies?
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 07:16 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: starting flies?

Great advise already posted!

Woolly Buggers are wonderful patterns, and the colors that William suggested are the most used, but don't over look white or chartreuse, as buggers can imitate many things, and these two additional colors are usually productive for panfish & bass.

This time of year, I would be in terrestrial mode. I don't do much trout fishing, but when I did, getting into late summer & fall I fished terrestrial patterns heavily. Crickets, hoppers & beetles, particularly those tied with foam, which floats well, are excellent for both trout & panfish. Small worm patterns, San Juan style or floating inch worms, can be very good too, particularly during or just after a rain shower.

Although I adamantly agree with Clouser Minnows, they're something I use a lot, and are extremely productive, if you're just getting started with a fly rod, be very careful with this type of fly, or any that are heavily weighted with metal. The barbell eyes used on Clousers, or beads & cones used on other patterns can do serious damage to a rod, should they strike it. They're also not something you want to be hitting yourself with either! If you go this route, be sure to mash down the barbs. Makes removal from clothing, your flesh or the fishes mouths an easier task.

Add a few simple poppers for the panfish & you'll have a great start to a good selection!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!