View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 02:30 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why strip strike?

Strip striking gives you a better ( deeper) hook set and with larger SW hooks and hard mouth predators it really makes a difference! When you lift and strike the time it takes and the water resistance to the fly line lessens your hookup bite. When you feel a bite on retrieval and you strip with you rod pointing at the fish , no extra resistance and quicker hook sets. Also with a strip set you can set the hook more than once without any slack as long as the line hand stays tight. I have a bad habit especially with Stripers from the boat of hitting the fish to many times on the strip which many time results in a break off . All I need is the one hard strip and I'm hooked up good!
For me in SW the only exception is using poppers or other large top waters at close range and then it seems that a lift is better but not always.
As far as FW I find the strip set to be the only way to go when night fishing because I never lose feel of the fly and can react without seeing or hearing the take!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser