View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 11:53 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Casting in no wind.

This is Richard Nunez executing the basic foundation cast of Mel Krieger. The stop motion photo comes from the Henry's Fork Lodge owned by Nelson Ishiyama. Nelson and I are college buddies, and he is the editor of Mel Krieger's book, The Essence of Flycasting.

Click the image to open in full size.

The Secret to an Easy Cast | The Henry's Fork Fly Fishing Lodge

Jason Borger demonstrates the start and stop points of the "elbow forward" style of casting.

Is this the casting motion you are referring to in the post below? If it is, are you double hauling? If the casting motion is correct and the cast is collapsing, you need more line speed by lengthening the stroke and double hauling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krikau27 View Post

My casting motion is like Mel Kriergers. I pull the rod through the stroke. I try to have a high back cast and a level or higher forward cast. With the length of line I have in the air and the time it takes to straighten it will have dropped enough to not be completely out of plane.
Short cast - more compact stroke almost only using elbow, up, drift back and down.
\

Kim.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy