View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 02:36 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Essential fly fishing gear/accessories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okbow68 View Post
I don't know where everyone fishes but around here I keep a knife that is easily accessible. Reason being old trot lines or some monofilament in the water. I keep a cheap one clipped to my vest or wader strap and not in my pocket down in my waders. I've been swimming before and got into some old mono, you cannot get enough leverage to break it unless its very light. Just a thought.
Oh so very true. Years back Rich Henry was giving us RV campers a fishing lesson (large group) and one of his demo's was a standard rod/level wind reel loaded with 10# Maxima line. Thumb clamped down on the spool and 20'ish foot of line off the reel.

"Break the line."

None of us even got close ... well one guy. Ex Pro football player clocking in at something like 280 pounds and 6'6" sort of thing. He didn't break the line but he did pull the rod right out of Rich's hands.

Great "Pot Luck" dinner followed and God did we all laugh!

fae