View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 08:06 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: I found this amusing...

Frankly, I don't use a net very often, particularly not when fly fishing.

I own 3 nets. One is a large net I'll use when Striper fishing, but not when fly fishing. It's more for trolling with heavy tackle, and more of a meat net than a C&R net. I think I paid about $45 for it. The second one is a small, cheap net that I've used for panfish. Less than $10 as I recall. Not a bad net, and has the wider rubber coated netting. Could be used for trout as well, as long as they're not big. Would probably handle fish up to about 12".

The third net is a long handled, cheap one used for dipping baitfish. Not the small bait bucket size, this net is about the size of nets folks use for dipping crabs. My brother bought it at Walmart a few years back while we were on vacation in SC. I don't know what he paid for it, but couldn't have been more than $10. We were fishing with bait, and catching our own, so it seemed like a good idea.

The only reason I could see for someone to pay that much for a trout size net that could be easily carried, would be they have more money than they know what to do with! I have seen some very nice wooden nets, those that have high quality craftsmanship involved in the production, and if that's something a person wants, then I guess the price is irrelevant. Not my thing, for gear such as nets, I'm more interested in function than aesthetics.

However, I won't buy just anything, and would be willing to pay a higher price for a better quality net. Nothing worse than having a net fail while trying to land a big fish.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!