Thread: Sage Xi3 rods
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 08:10 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sage Xi3 rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca
When it comes to rods 8 and up, I usually fish evens.
Me too, Dennis. It seems that you get a more even graduation of weights ( at least with the rods I've test cast) going 8, 10, 12 than you do going 7, 9, 11.

Look at the overall rod weights of 11's and 12's, Sintrix and Sage, and you see virtually a featherweight difference between 11's and 12's in particular. I have three 12 weights and no 11 weight, even though I was going to buy an 11 for my daughter (to keep down here for her) - and maybe even use myself on ocassion. But I decided against it given the way the 12 handled the 11 wt lines I planned to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
On all these rods....IMHO....you need to be an aggressive caster.
Yup, Bob. If you need more than an 8 wt you are usually fishing for larger fish in breezy (if you're lucky) conditions. It ain't like trout fishing in a beaver pond or small river.

Rather than matching the line to the rod, I've come to the conclusion it makes more sense to match the rod to the line.