View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 02:42 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Orvis Helios 2 9' 5wt tip flex

I have fished Helios (original) in #'s 5, 6 (in Montana) and 8, 9 (in the Bahamas). I disliked the 5, the 6 was good, the 8 was easily bettered by the 9 which was OK. I have not fished but have cast a bunch of H2's. I blind cast the two 5-weights switching off with a great casting friend and the tip-flex easily bettered the mid and was a significant improvement over original Helios. I agree with the reviewer; it is not a great leap ahead of the competition but is now a contender. The surprise was the 8-weight. The original version was no bonefish rod but this one is a powerhouse and smooth and easy to cast well on top of it. By far the best H2 I cast, though I look forward to trying the 8 1/2'/#4 which was not yet available at the time I sampled them.

I have postulated that the original tapers lacked sufficient low taper power reserves, OK in a #4 but not in an 8-weight. I thought Orvis should introduce a limited sub-category of Helios (Helios+ ?); kind of like Sage originally did with TCR, with heavily revised and beefed up tapers for anglers pursuing gamefish in more demanding environments...instead they brought in a new guy and re-did all the tapers. Good move, Orvis.