View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Little tricks to share

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaMoose View Post
Retrieving flies from trees or underwater can be tricky at times...a friend showed me this little trick if the fly isn't to deep or too high up in the tree...point the rod at the fly and slowly strip the line in until the tip top engages the bend of the hook...I stress slowly since we don't want to wreck the tip...and from there, simply move the rod in the same direction while you were stripping in the line...hook comes free, fly saved and no stress on the rod or leader from tugging.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
This works but is risky. Flies are cheaper than rods.

I prefer the roll cast method: Once you know you're hung, quit tugging. Start pulling off extra line so you can throw a roll cast beyond the snag, thus tugging the fly off the snag in the opposite direction of how it initially approached it.

If fishing downstream in current, you can also let the current form a bow in the line and then give a tug once you've got the belly way beyond the snag.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.